Smyrna Fire Department Contains Structure fire at Colony Square Apartments


SMYRNA, Tennessee—Smyrna Fire Department (SFD) personnel were dispatched to a structure fire in building A of Colony Square Apartments, 500 Rock Springs Road in Smyrna, at 4:21AM this morning.

Upon arrival, B-Shift personnel noted heavy smoke and flames coming from a unit in building A of the complex.  SFD personnel attacked and extinguished the fire, containing the damage to one unit.  The damage was extensive and the unit is uninhabitable; all adjacent units remained intact, did not sustain damage, and residents were able to return home.

Five individuals reside in the impacted unit and escaped unharmed. Rutherford County EMS transported one individual as a precautionary measure.  The individual was treated and released.

SFD fire investigator’s preliminary investigation indicates the cause and origin is unattended candles.

“Personnel did an excellent job of attacking the fire and containing the damage to one unit,” shared SFD Chief Bill Culbertson.  “We are grateful the occupants escaped unharmed.”

The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office offers the following general fire safety tips:

  • Never leave lit candles unattended; consider switching to flameless.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • In the event of a grease fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner
  • Never smoke if medical oxygen is present.
  • Always use the recommended wattage light bulb for a light fixture.
  • Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything flammable.  Ensure they are turned off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Ensure that electrical cords do not run under rugs, they are not frayed, and they are not the power supply for appliances.
  • Do not smoke while in bed or lying down.  If possible, never smoke inside.