All motorists should be aware of several factors affecting campus roads and parking.
• MTSU’s East Main Street and Rutherford Boulevard entrances once again will be the most convenient campus entry points during the tournaments, university officials said.
• The Greenland Drive parking lot will again be reserved for TSSAA ticketholders during both tournaments, and vehicles must pay $5 to park there. Students and faculty who use the Greenland Drive lot should prepare now to find alternative parking on campus, including the Tennessee Livestock Pavilion lot off Greenland Drive and the Rutherford Boulevard parking lots.
• The university will reserve parking during the tournaments in the Middle Tennessee Boulevard (Woodfin), Cason-Kennedy Nursing Building, Holmes and Smith Field lots for vehicles displaying appropriate campus permits. Visitors with appropriate permits also will be allowed to park in those lots.
• The Champion Way entrance at Greenland Drive will be closed March 9-12 and March 16-19, and eastbound Greenland Drive traffic will be directed to Rutherford Boulevard. Campus traffic can still exit via Champion Way onto Greenland.
• Faulkinberry Drive and Normal Way will be closed to accommodate TSSAA team buses. No parking or street access will be available.
Motorists should allow extra time to reach their destinations because of the ongoing road construction on Middle Tennessee Boulevard and the additional tournament traffic congestion around campus. They also can use the university’s perimeter parking lots, including the Tennessee Livestock Pavilion and Rutherford lots, during the tournaments.
MTSU will be on spring break March 7-12, during the first TSSAA tournament. No classes will be held, but university offices will be open regular hours during the break.
The Raider Xpress shuttle service will not run while the university is on spring break. It will operate on its normal schedule during the boys’ TSSAA tournament, however, with the exception of the “Green Route,” which will not serve the Greenland Drive parking lot.
RUTHERFORD COUNTY, Construction of New Interchange on SR 1 at SR 10 (Broad St.) and SR 96
* Thursday March 3 through Wednesday March 9, 8PM-6AM, There will be alternating lane closures on SR-1 and SR-96 for potential construction activities. One lane will remain open in each direction. The closure of Broadmor Boulevard will continue this week.
* Sunday March 6, 6AM-3PM, There will be alternating lane closures on Old Fort Parkway for a traffic shift. One lane will remain open in each direction at all times.
RUTHERFORD COUNTY, Grading, Drainage and Paving on SIA Route Serving Nissan North America
* Monday March 14, 8AM, Singer Road, from North Broad Street to the Nissan North America entrance, will be closed to through traffic. This closure will remain in place until the project has been completed or until 8/31/16. Local business access within the project limits will be provided.
Murfreesboro Construction Projects for March 6 through March 12
Veterans Pkwy aka Kimbro Road Widening Project (Barfield Road to Saint Andrews Drive)
Expected Lane Closures: Monday through Friday: 6:30 am to 4:30 pm: Traffic on Veterans Pkwy between Yeargan Rd and Barfield Rd has been switched onto the north side. Sidewalk and grading work continues on continues on the south side of Veterans Pkwy between Yeargan Road and Barfield Road. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place. There will be incidental lane closures and traffic interruptions (trucks entering and exiting the job site).
Bridge over Broad Street TDOT Project
Expected Lane Closures: Monday through Friday, 8:00 pm to 6:00 am: There will be alternating lane closures on NW Broad Street, Ridgley Road and W College Street for underground utility crossing. There will be lane shifts and traffic interruptions. Broadmor Blvd is closed to through traffic for utility crossing and general construction work. W Lytle Street and a short segment of College St and Burton St are also closed to traffic for construction work. Retaining wall work continues as part of the southwest and southeast ramps for the new overpass. On Sunday, March 6, 6:00 am to 3:00 pm, there will be alternating lane closures on Old Fort Pkwy at Broad Street. Westbound traffic on Old Fort Pkwy on the west side of Broad St will be shifted to the south and construction will begin on the north side. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place.
Sewer Pump Station Project (NW Broad St at Battlefield Pkwy)
Expected Lane Closures: Monday through Friday, 6:00 am to 5 pm: Contractor for Water & Sewer Department will be installing sewer lines within TDOT right-of-way/Battlefield Pkwy. A small section of Battlefield Pkwy is closed. Underground bore work continues. Appropriate traffic controls will be in-place.
W Lytle Street Relocation Project (NW Broad St to Barker St)
Expected Lane Closures: Monday through Friday, 8:00 pm to 6:00 am: W Lytle Street is also closed to traffic at NW Broad Street for construction work. Underground utility work continues. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place.
Middle Tennessee Widening Project (Greenland Dr to E Main St)
Expected Lane Closures: Monday through Friday, The contractor will be implemented phase one traffic control plan on Middle Tennessee Blvd. Traffic on Middle Tennessee Blvd will be shifted to the east side and reduced to two lanes between Bell St and E Lytle St. E Lytle St is closed at Middle Tennessee Blvd. The section of E Lytle St between N Bilbro Ave and Middle Tennessee Blvd are only open to local traffic. Bell St will be closed between Middle Tennessee Blvd and Crestland Ave for water and sewer line installation. Access to MTSU Bell St parking will be kept open and from the Crestland Ave side. Appropriate traffic controls and detours signs will be in place.
Murfreesboro Water & Sewer Rehabilitation Work
1) Ridgley Rd between Walnut St and End of Ridgely Rd – 3/7 & 3/8
2) Walnut St between Ridgely Rd and Polk St – 3/10 & 3/11
3) Intersection of Morgan Rd and Haynes Dr – 3/7 & 3/8
4) S Front St between Hickerson Dr and W Castle St – 3/9 & 3/10
5) Memorial Blvd at south entrance to McAlisters Deli – 3/8
6) Memorial Blvd at Sulphur Springs Rd – 3/8
7) Intersection of Dover St and Falcon Dr – 3/9
8) Intersection of Lazarus Way and Fortress Blvd – 3/10
Expected Lane Closures: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 3:00 pm: The contractor for Water & Sewer Department will be performing TV inspections/repairs of the sewer lines. Traffic will be reduced to one lane flagging operation. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place.
City Urban Environmental Department Trimming Work (E Main St between Hancock St and Bilbro Ave)
Expected Lane Closures: Tuesday, Weather Permitting, 8:30 am to 2:30 pm: Urban Environmental crews will be trimming trees on E Main St between Hancock St and Bilbro Ave. Traffic will be reduced to moving one lane flagging operation. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place.
Asplundh Tree Trimming Work (Thompson Lane between Blanton Dr and NW Broad St)
Expected Lane Closures: Monday and Tuesday, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm: Asplundh Tree Trimming crews will be trimming trees on Thompson Lane between Blanton Dr and NW Broad St. Traffic will be reduced to moving one lane flagging operation. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place.
Murfreesboro Water & Sewer Department Repair Work (W Clark Blvd between Woodland St and Allen Ave)
Expected Lane Closures: Tuesday, 6:00 pm to 12:00 am: City of Murfreesboro Water & Sewer Department crews will be performing water line installation and service work on W Clark Blvd between Woodland St and Allen Ave. Traffic on W Clark Blvd will be detoured onto Woodland St, Sunset Ave and Allen Ave. All work will be done at night. Access to local residents will be maintained at all times and notices will be send on Monday to the residents. Appropriate traffic controls will be in place.