After wrapping up their college experience, the last thing students want to deal with is packing and moving all of the belongings collected at school.
However, before tossing precious items in paper bags and laundry baskets, graduates should take some advice from the experts on how to pack and prepare belongings for the upcoming move.
“Students often wait until the last minute and use free boxes or anything else they can get their hands on to pack,’’ said Nick Roerig, franchisee of the Murfreesboro TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® location. “This makes moving more difficult than it has to be and can set students up for failure. Moving is hard, but it’s even more challenging if the makeshift containers used to hold belongings break.’’ Here are some easy tips for graduates getting ready to move:
* Start early – moving is even harder if preparations are left to the last minute. Don’t wait to collect boxes and moving supplies. Start packing non-essential items right away.
* Condense – go through the stuff piling up and decide what is necessary to keep.
* Use the right supplies – don’t make the mistake of using old shopping bags, laundry baskets, topless boxes and pillowcases to pack belongings. Not only could items get tossed around in the move, but if loose items fall out, people could get hurt. Avoid grocery store boxes – they likely once stored food items and can often have bugs.
* Pack like items together moving may feel overwhelming, so the more organized you are, the better. Label boxes so they are easily identified. This will help prioritize unpacking without making a huge mess.
* Don’t over-pack boxes – the rule is: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
* Use original packaging for large electronics – try to use original boxes for items like computers, TVs and microwaves. It’s much more likely these items will arrive unharmed if they remain in the manufacturers packaging.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the largest franchised moving company both in the United States and internationally. Currently there are more than 280 national locations and 1,800 trucks operating in the U.S.; in total, the company operates 311 locations and 1,900 trucks. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® has performed more than five million moves since its inception in 1985. The company has seen consistent monthly growth dating back to December 2009 and more than 36 consecutive months of record growth. Each location is independently owned and operated. For franchising opportunities, visit www.twomenandatruckfranchising.com.
For more information, call the Murfreesboro TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® at (615)595-5929 or visit twomenmurfreesboro.com.