The public is invited to a special “Open House Weekend” for viewing the recently relocated Murfreesboro Fire Station 4 at 1321 Medical Center Parkway.
Doors will be open for the community on Saturday, May 4 and Sunday, May 5 from 1:00-4:00 pm both days. Fire Rescue Chief Mark Foulks and other members of MFRD will be available to provide tours and answer questions about the station.
The relocation of this station has enhanced the department’s response capabilities. The station lies equal distance within two miles of the City’s tallest building downtown, NHC at 13 stories, and the high-rise Embassy Suites at 10 stories. This enables the department to achieve Insurance Services Office (ISO) requirements for aerial apparatus response within 2.5 miles. The station houses a 100’ Sutphen aerial apparatus which allows for more efficient response to the two previously mentioned buildings as well as Saint Thomas Rutherford Hospital, the Rutherford County Judicial Center downtown, and numerous hotels in the Gateway.
MFRD’s Water Rescue Team now operates out of this station, as it allows for quicker deployment to water emergencies and gives personnel more opportunities to train with the Manson Pike Trailhead Dam and Stones River nearby.
The location also makes it easier for crews to respond to emergencies on the Greenway and at Old Fort Golf Course.
Other features of the new station:
- Small office space for Murfreesboro Police Department to complete paperwork if they are in the area
- 4×4 all-terrain vehicle for Greenway access
- History and Educational Room which includes the restored 1892 Ahrens Steam Engine.
- Multiple station design components to help decrease response times and enhance firefighter safety.
- Quarters for a second Battalion Chief.
“We are excited about the public coming to check out our new station,” said Fire Rescue Chief Mark Foulks. “We are very proud of the design, the functionality, and the positive attributes.”
The City contracted with Boyce Ballard Construction of Murfreesboro to build the new station. John Trail with Johnson + Bailey Architects, P.C. was the architect for the project.