UPDATE: The Blue Angels will not be participating in the Great Tennessee Air Show this weekend. The status of the show as a whole is still not known.
Here are the highlights from the Blue Angels crash press conference held at approximately 5:00 p.m. in Smyrna:
- It is confirmed the pilot is dead.
- The Department of Navy has joined with FAA in the investigation.
- The plane crashed 2 miles from the runway.
- Accident was behind The Sam Davis Home.
- The Sam Davis Home will remained closed tomorrow, Friday, June 3rd. We will post updates about weekend opening/closing as soon as they are available. Thank you for your understanding.(Sam Davis Home Facebook)
- No decision on this weekend’s show.
- There were no other injuries and power was knocked out to some. Sam Davis Home is still without power.
- At this time there are no details being released as to possible causes of the wreck.
- The pilot’s name is being withheld until next of kin are notified.
- Military officials have not announced a press conference.
- Roads will be closed around the crash site. Sam Davis will remain closed until further notice. Smyrna officials remain in a support situation to the Navy and FAA. Any other closed roads including Sam Ridley and Nissan will be opened soon.
- A No Fly Zone has been put at a 2 mile radius around the crash site.
We will keep you updated as we receive information.